Tuesday 3 November 2015


A Day in the Life : Initial Ideas and Roughs

For our second visual skills brief we were tasked with producing 3 images illustrating a given article. They had to each distinctly different from each other and produced at 3 different sizes: 200x200mm, 200x105mm and 105x290mm. This was so as to push us to produce s many alternate concepts and compositions as possible.
My article was titled 'Channelling the Joy' and its underlying message was that enviromentalism should be driven by our inner propensity to love nature.
Therefore I chose a few highly visual quotes from the article which I felt both summed up the article as well as provided a base on which to create a visual response.



















The first roughs I created involved having humans figures with roots, trees, plants etc growing within them much in the same way veins are shown on a anatomical diagram so as to communicate the '...deep ingrained propensity to love nature' that is within us all.
However I felt the motif of a human figure used in this affect was both lazy and boring and that something more subtle would be more engaging.
I also felt this was true of the roughs I created in an attempt to communicate nature as a 'true haven for our phyce' where I had used motifs of the human head and brain.


















However my roughs relating to the idea of our love from nature being 'drowned out by the noise [of modern life] that assails our mind' were too complicated/over thought which confused the message. In particular I like the image of a man on a phone sat on/drowning a tree within water.
After feedback from both peers and tutors I realised that the various motifs on show, particulary that of a man sitting on top of tree roots confused the image a removed the intended message of.
Therefore I decided to go for the simpler and more immediate images of a plant being drowned out and truggling to grow through a bombardment of technological devices.



















My final set of ideas revolved around a child's unconditional love and wonder for nature that was discussed towards the end of the article. I tried to communicate this by creating roughs relating to a child's unconditional love for a parent.
Therefore I draw out various roughs showing a toddler holding its parents hand but with the parent figure being constructed out of various plants, vines flowers and leaves. I particularly like the simplicity and immediacy of this last idea which was a feeling shared by both peers and tutors within group crits.




















Out of all the things we have learnt so far I feel the use of roughs has furthed my developmeant of ideas the most. This is because it simultaneously allows you to quickly produce ideas in an exaustive manner whilst also allowing you to get a greater understanding of how your images will work within there from and therefore resolve any issue that may be detracting from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment