Sunday 4 October 2015

Observational Drawing
-At first the process of observational drawing was a challenge due to how out of practice I had been recently.
-However as the first day progressed I found myself  getting more and more confident with each image I produced. This was evident in both quality of line/mark making, proportions and composition.
-In particular I felt that the bellow image of Matt Mercer was my first real break through, having caught some of the key features/characteristics of his face with minimal use of line.
-By the second day I felt much more confident with my drawing ability and after a brief warm up was much happier with the images I had produced than those completed earlier in the week. 
-his was mainly due to to the use of a more solid, graphic style with strong use of bold line work as opposed to more sketchy lines which I feel much more comfortable using. 
-Furthermore during the second day of drawing I found myself getting lost in the process of image making which made the process more enjoyable and led to much more successful results. 
-I feel this was due to the warm up experienced earlier in the week as well as, in my opinion, much more interesting subject matter.




-However despite this the process of observational drawing still feels like an ongoing battle to understand and translate what is in front of you which requires your full attention. After both days I still felt the need to draw more from life so as to further develop my observational skills. The improvement in my images after just two days highlighted just how much further I have to go and that regular observational drawing is the only way to achieve this.




No comments:

Post a Comment