Thursday 11 February 2016

Shape and Texture

As the course has progressed a have naturally gravitated towards work in which texture plays an integral part. I found this visual language particularly insightful as it allowed me to take a step back and consider exactly why we choose to use texture within our work and what value it can give work when applied successfully.

The main points I came to were as follows:

- Adds a certain level of authenticity to your work as it gives evidence of your hand as a maker.
- When using analogue media it gives your work a more visceral quality.
- This can be used to reinforce information you are trying to communicate through you work, particularly emotions/sensations/feelings
 -Is of particular importance within shape driven work as it can soften harder forms leading to a more harmonious composition that will feel more human and less clinical.
-Help describe light and tone within a piece, given my tendency to steer clear of more traditional ways of describing tone I feel this last point is one of the main reasons I gravitate towards texture driven work. It has consistently allowed me to break down elements within my work with out have to resort to highly rendered imagery something that I don't have a strong affinity or skill for.

strange fruitguardian weekend 02

Iro Tsalavala


Scott Bakal

Both Iro Tsalavala and Scott Bakal manage to employ texture effectively so as to produce highly emotive work that has a real human quality to it. They also predominantly work with flat shapes/imagery but manage to create a level of depth and intrigue through the use of texture. Depth has been/still is an issue within my work and texture could be an effective way of addressing this within my own practice. 
Finally what I love most about these two artists is the moody and ephemeral nature that is consistent through out there work. This is something I try to create within my work as It is often central to the themes/issues I try and tackle through image making.



I was reasonably happy with the two portraits that I created. Naturally texture helped reinforce to reinforce the moody and introspective feeling that often goes hand in hand with self portraiture. I really like the use of block printing ink due to the chaotic textures that it creates that can be easily manipulated to create different tonal variations ( ie the less ink the more faded/light the textures will be.


Given my issues with depth I also decided to create a large scale image consisting of a fore mid and background. Although I liked the initial layout/composition of the image I should have used media experimentation when roughing as in the final image certain elements have been confused ( ie the sky, floor and for figure ) due to over lapping of similar/same tonal variants. 


No comments:

Post a Comment