Tuesday 9 May 2017

Development of Final Images
Double Page Spread

the only format that I hadn't yet covered and the one that I thought would be the most challenging was creating an image that would effectively work both online and as a printed double page spread. The reason I think this would be so challenging in my head is theoretically it has to be the strongest image given the amount of space it would occupy within a newspaper or on screen.

Unlike a vignette it wouldn't be printed small as an accompaniment to further communicate the concepts of a vast body of text, instead it would be the main element with a small piece of text in form of a title helping to contextualise and communicate what the image is about.

Therefore this image needs to be the strongest in terms of clear communication, atmosphere and engagement.





With this in mind I wanted to further develop the weeping angel vignette into a full bleed image so as to create soemthing much more eerie and unsettling that better communicated the pervaisive level of surveillance this technology allows for within society.

Therefore I came up with the concept of once again employ a 1984 like telescreen. In the original sketches I had used the eye motifs again however in the final image I decided to use a literal weeping angel's face. This was because I thought it was quite a haunting image creating a much heavier and eerie atmosphere seeped in melancholy yet also bordering on the sinister.



Oriogionally I had created the image without a figure in it as I couldn't quite work out how to visually break the image down clearly into the different elements with such a limited colour pallette. However in the end I was able to achieve this by outlining the edge of the sofa and figure that are facing the screen with the lightest colour giving the impressions that the light from the screen is glowing on them.

I am glad I persavered with including the figures as I think this use of light is what has made this image so aethetically pleasing and dramtic. Furthermore it has actually massively heightened the communication of the image given that as the figure is facing away from the tv in an other wise dark room it implies the tv has seemingly been shut off but is still on and watching the figure ubeknownst to him whilst his back is turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment