Monday 8 May 2017

Development of Final Images
Vignettes

 Given that social media and technology as a distraction was one of the key areas of research I wanted to communicate within my editorial illustration I decided to go ahead and develop the shouting phone image I had roughed out previously in the project into a final image.

As I have now completed two final images, the process of translating other roughs into finals has spread up significantly due to the fact that I will be using the same process and colour scheme within all my final images so as to create a unified set of 6 images.

Another concept I was keen to communicate was that of using technology, particularly the internet to de fraud people. Therefore I wanted to develop the thieving hand roughs I had drawn earlier in the project. Along with the shouting phone and the laptop spying behind the plant I think these images work well as vignettes. This is because in all three there is a simple object with a surreal aspect added to it so as to create an effective visual metaphor.



Thoughts on what does/doesn't work

However out of all the images I think the phone shouting is by far the weakest both conceptually and visually. Visually I think it is perhaps overly simple and just a some what boring and unimaginative image. Furthermore the intended communication is a bit murky as, given that it is a phone, rather than communicating technology as a distraction the mouth eludes to it simply being about communication.



In contrast to this I am really pleased with how the images of the hand stealing has come out. Visually it is quite satisfying to look out given how your eye follows the lighter element of the hand/arm between the two darker elements, the phone and the debit card, which also both balance each other/the image.

In terms of communication I think it is immediately clear what is being communicated and I think the format of a vignette has further strengthened this communication by allowing the image to be as simple as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment