Thursday 21 January 2016

All in one take, audio visual expressionism

Following up from the chat I had with Jon K I decided to look further into the recording artist Manuel Gonzales due to the bizarreness of both his music and position within the music world. After reading an interview on line with him I found out he forgoes almost all forms of modern, digital/midi, music production in favour of older analogue equipment. Furthermore most of his tracks are recorded in one take, leaving odd layers of textures, feedback and rhythmic errors that serve to add an extra layer of depth to his music.
With this in mind I decided to create a series of collages in response to music. The result was a series of bizarre rhythmic constructions and landscapes. I like the variety of textures and colours present as I feel the mirror the warmth of the sound of the analogue sounds present in producers such as Manuel Gonzales' music. I don't think that they are the strongest images in terms of composition seeming somewhat hectic and crowded. However this could just be seen as a result of the approach I took in creating them. 



















To try and give this process some more solid ground I decided to exploring what would happen when I combined them with figurative elements. Once again when creating these figures I wanted them to have an ambiguous look and feel to them so as to re affirm this idea of an audio craftsman rather than a specific artist/musician.
I think these are a lot stronger than the above images as compositionally there is more thought and care to them. Furthermore I feel the harsh rugged textures created using block printing ink contrast really nicely to the free flowing drawing ink lines of the figures.


No comments:

Post a Comment