Friday 22 January 2016

Final Designs

The first four images were simply more refined versions of art work I had previously produced and was happy to include within my book from the initial roughing stage of my final out come. There were some slight adjustments made to them within photo shop, such as levels and cropping so that they'd work better as digital prints.
























Having re worked them several times I finally came to a final outcome for my inner and out pages that I was satisfied with. To achieve this I brought in previous elements of modular synths and wire connection ( to serve as both literal reference to equipment as well as conceptually hinting at the the global links contained within electronic music). I decided to create them with a more three dimensional perspective within the composition so as to give them more depth. Finally I created them using cut out textures so as to aesthetically bring them in line with he rest of my images as well find a way to subtly bring in the yellow of the colour scheme.
In the final printing book I also added a brief bit of text onto the for most inner page. Aesthetically I think it slightly detracts from the original images however I do think it is need so as to give the book contextual grounding.

















I did yet another redesign of the the comic book spread as I felt it still looked out of place. To try and solve this I brought in more texture and down played the lighting elements as the former is something consistently present in the rest of my work where as the latter was almost exclusive to this piece. Although I still don't think it's a hundred percent it does feel a lot more in line with he rest of my images and, within the final printed book it does flow/pace well alongside my other images.



 So as to give my book a nice sense of rhythm and pacing I decided to produce another double page spread of a dramatic landscape, this time based off of my trip to Redmires reservoir, that would make up the second to last spread so as to mirror the first landscape. I don't think it is quite as strong as the first image, mainly due to the lack of dominant negative space will really helped break apart the other image. However I do think the pulsating lines that make up the water do demonstrate the the feelings/sounds I was experiencing whilst on the research trip.















The last image I created is by far my favourite. Strangely enough it was the one with the least planning ( although a lot of time was spent crafting/figuring it out on the page) and to an extent it can be seen as an extension of the one take, abstract piecing I produced earlier in the body of work that were a response to the creative process of Manuel Gonzales.
The main reason I like this image is the strong muscular feel to both the individual elements and overall composition that has resulted in something that feels simultaneously dynamic and full of movement yet tense and static.
Furthermore the minimal use of figurative elements has helped maintained a sense of rhythm and consistency with both the comic book spread and the image of the creator figure without out taking away from the ambiguous and ephemeral feel of the book as a whole.



The main issues I have with the actual printed book over the final designs is, although I edited them in photo shop to make them more optimised for print, I do feel they're missing some the rawness and evidence of human craft that gives the originals a certain level of charm and  authenticity. 
To solve this Jamie suggesting printing it on the roughest, toothiest paper possible so as to bring out the textural elements of the work. However As you can feel with the printing book, due to the printer we were using to printer double sided, I was restricted in what paper I could use as anything more rougher and textual than what I chose would have jammed the printer.










No comments:

Post a Comment