Sunday 17 January 2016

Work in response to research

From the start there were a few things I wanted to avoid when starting this new phase of my project mainly obvious over used images such as people DJing, turntables etc.  This is because I feel it would result in a ham fisted and dumbed down response to my research that would only result in stale clichés.

 

 To start of I explored various ways of trying to depict the connections between different cities, spaces and scenes. In the above picture I have attempted to show this with drawings of various key players within different cities linking up and connected with others. I have purposefully set it up so that each figure is looking at someone from a different city so as to try and sure the global nature of the music in question.
Although I quite like the rough, rugged and at times almost geometric quality I have given the figures I think being to literal with depictions of people is a pretty boring response to this project.


 Therefore I decided to try a completely different approach to this idea drawing out some abstracted, minimal versions module synthesisers with various wires and connectors linking them up to different sectors. I included the use of various rough, analogues textures created using drawing ink as well as bloc printing ink applied onto cut out shapes so as to mirror the analogue and often visceral nature of the music in question.
However I do feel this is possibly a too vague and abstract way of responding to the research material.

 
Trying to reconcile the different approaches I've tried adding figures into the mix but have chosen to either not show their faces or give them a more ambiguous look. This is so as to depict key moments and ideas relating to the creation of the music that could be universally applied to any of the scenes I have looked at rather than simply doing literal recreations of figures such Juan Atkinson, Ryuchi Sakamoto, Winston Hazel etc.
I do perhaps think the piano image is a bit obvious however I do like the minimal use of colour. Despite the majority of each image being grey scale the less or more approach to using colour really adds a dynamic element to the other wise static images. This is something I will bear in mind and try to further and develop upon.


With all this in mind I created a story board based upon the story of how 'Track with no name' was made by Forgemasters at Rob Gordons home studio in only four hours. I purposefully over exaggerated how young they look  to give an impression of the naivety and freedom that was oresent when creating the music. I also gave them extremely ambiguous/anonymous features so that, although it is based upon a specific piece of research, it can be used to depict any story relating to the D.I.Y creation of music.
Although it is very unrefined I do like the fluid aesthetic the ink gives the images particularly in describing a glowing light source illuminating the figures faces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment