Sunday 17 January 2016

Struggling to immerse myself / the problem with research

Although I found the concept of solitude to be moving on a personal level and have been enjoying making images of landscapes I have so far been pretty uninspired by my initial research. Given the fact that we over a month left to complete this project I don't think simply looking into solitude will give me enough scope to produce a fully developed and thought out body of work due to the lack of secondary research that would be involved. Furthermore what secondary have conducted relating to my chosen destination has been pretty dry and hard for me to fully immerse myself in.
What this has highlighted to me is that within research driven projects you can end up putting in a lot ground work which may ultimately be of no real use to you. Part of this has been due to the way in which I initially approached the project, getting to wrapped up in the destination itself and what I can discover about it rather than trying to find something that I can engage with and react to on an emotional level,

Change in direction

With this in mind I decided to speak with Matt so as to get a fresh take on my project and try and find a way in which I can fully engage myself with it. He suggested that I try and bring in personal interests into my project that relate to my chosen area and after a brief discussion I decided to focus on my love of electronic music which has deep roots in Sheffield (where Warp records was founded) as well the cities, such as Manchester, Bradford, Leeds, which surround the Pennines. In particular I am interested in the relationship between music and the surroundings in  which it is create/how they influence each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment