Thursday 21 January 2016

Further responses: Movement, Energy, Transmission

Off the back of my latest section of research I decided to create a series of images conveying the the sense of movement present within the culture of electronic music.
This was meant to be a literal depiction of the movement of dance and the energy witnessed at the various nights/event showcasing this sort of music as well as the movement and progression of ideas when these sounds are transmitted from one area of the world to another.



















With this in mind I decided to create a series of dancing figures seeming to sway and pulsate with a series of radio wave like marks that I create uses brush and ink to create the free flowing lines. With my previous work in mind I wanted to create images depicting featureless figures so as to create ambiguous images that could once again be related to any given time or place within my area of research.
 As stand alone images I feel they are kind of weak, particularly the ones where the negative space is left to describe the figures.
However I think once they are put into a scene and inter lap with one another the sense of movement I was trying to achieve starts to show. In the below image I also purposely over exaggerated and extended limbs so as to further this effect giving the image a somewhat tribal feel which plays further into the idea of youth culture and culture scenes/movements..

 In reverse to this I created some larger figures with a more conventional approach to outlining. Although I like the quality of line and the general gangly, over extended and stretched feel to the figures, they feel very static in comparison to the above images.
To counteract this I added singular colour patterns in the background trying to show the movement of audio transmissions and  sonic frequencies. I like how the variations in tones help describe this movement despite only one colour being present. However on the whole they seem to be a bit stale and engaging.
In general, just in the same way as depicting literal figures, DJs, turntables etc seemed to obvious/too much of a cliche I think to a lesser extent these dancing figures are as well.

























I briefly experimented with trying to produce images along a similar theme digitally. This involved manipulation of photographs I have taken so have to give them a rougher more abstract feel. This was achieve through playing around with levels and exposure settings as well as layering up images whilst altering the transparency and colour filter settings.
Although I like how the repeat images serve to add a sense of movement to the figures that acts to distort their context making them seem more like pieces of a geometric pattern than photos people, i don't think the digital work is as strong as the work shown above. This is because there's a certain level of humanness and craft that is absent from them that has quite a strong and instant impact in the above images.
















No comments:

Post a Comment