Thursday 21 January 2016

Collections: Album Art

Given that up until this point I hadn't carried out any research involving collections I thought I'd photograph various of my own as well as friends records so as to explore the various ways in which you can go about conveying music/audio visually.
They are mainly covers of electronic albums with a particular focus on those from a Warp lineage, Detroit, Berlin, Northern England as well as those with a more experimental edge to them. 




 Ones that particularly caught my eyes were those that seemed to be telling some sort of narrative alongside the music they were packaged with. It is hard gage exactly what is going on, with many of the pieces been left for the viewer/listener to fill in. This subtle and ambiguous approach to visual narratives could be useful in my own work so as to best draw up my various different strands of research without leaving anything essential out.
 I particularly like the sparse, saturated photographs of the record by Clark that seems to tie in to the themes and imagery I've been exploring in my own work. The feeling of tensions within them is something I could try and tap in to with my own work.

 







 Finally after reading an interview with both the designer of the cover, Jack Featherstone, I thought the below record by Rote was highly relevant to what I am trying to achieve in my own work. This is because they emphasised the important of trying to create ambiguous artwork that, although rooted in an idea or motif directly relating to their own interpretations of the music( the below imagine is apparently that of factory workers as the records it self has a strong mechanical feel to it), can be reinterpreted by the viewer/listener so as to fit what it is that they hear. This is something I have already tried to achieve with much of my work for this module and should be the main focus of the images created for my final book.








No comments:

Post a Comment