Friday 22 January 2016

Artist study: Shape, texture and ink

When looking for artists to study for this module I wanted to try and find artists that had battled with similar processes to me. In light of our lecture before the Christmas holidays the first name that came to mind was Eleni Kalorkoti. Although her portfolio in general is a lot more figurative and her use of ink much more refined and tight than mine has been in this module several of her projects did stand out in paralleling my own work.
Visually her zine exploring collage contained a lot of processes that I have been using within my own practice and could look to so as to further refine them. This is primarily due to her use of shape, texture (particularly inky textures) and negative space to created minimalist images that have a highly dynamic and bold feel to them.



Her 'Held' zine also stood out to me in how, as well as the figurative elements, she again used abstract collages. However in this case they were being used more specifically to try and convey complex emotions that she was experiencing such as loss and vulnerability. Although it is a greatly different subject matter to mine it is interesting to see how abstract images can be used to convey more intangible concepts and experiences, something which I have been trying to achieve within my own work.



Looking for more artist who have tried to achieve a similar marriage of abstract concepts and images I came across a series of images called 'Memories of a Place I Have Never Been' by visual artist Erosie. This idea of creating imaginary spaces and landscapes through shapes is highly intriguing and, on an aesthetic level highly effective. Much of my work has focussed around trying to reinterpret landscapes and what I was experiencing/feeling/hearing a process which this work has further informed particularly with regards to placing flat,simple shapes next to areas of rich texture.



Finally I came across an artist named Tamsyn Mystowski. I couldn't really find out much about him (her) but their playful use of ink and collage to create simple, ephemeral images really spoke to me as something I can try and apply to my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment