Thursday 21 January 2016

Combining my two stems of research

When looking into the development of Warp records I found it interesting that it shifted from something local, rooted in heritage and community to something entirely more widespread yet almost introspective.
This came about with the switch from label mainstays such as LFO, Sweet Exorcist, Tricky Disco etc which had been centred around dance and club culture to more experimental acts such Autechre and Aphex Twin with a focus on full length albums rather than purely singles and EPs.
This gave me the idea try mixing together my research into rural landscapes and solitude with these more abstract and introspective sounds, particularly those of newer labels, which arguably owe a lot to the early work of Warp, such as PAN, Modern Love and Planet Mu.
Given the ambiguity of most music, particularly that which is instrumental, I thought it would be interesting to see if it could be used to alter the way in which I experienced the hills and moors surrounding Sheffield.

I made trips to two areas surrounding Sheffield. First up was the Monsel trail and valley. I chose this due to the rich beauty of the valley which is oddly juxtaposed with the train tunnel and viaduct that runs through it. Ironically on top of the viaduct is a pack with a quote from John Ruskin describing the natural beauty of the Valley despite the fact that, upon further research I found that he openly hated the viaduct and its placement within the valley.




 When walking about I listened to both Olympic Mess by Helm and Refflektionz by Ekoplekz. Both albums are almost completely devoid of drums with pulsating frequencies and abstract noises dominating much of its their duration. I found that this in turn played into the subtle sense of rhythm my surroundings had, with hills gently rolling out of the missed to be occasionally interrupted by the more geometric forms of industry such as the viaduct.
























Secondly I decided to visit Redmires Resoviour, an area much more stark and bleak in its surrounding with the influence of man (the resoviour) being the dominant feature. Subsequently I decided I would listen to very different albums. First up was Virtual State by Richard H Kirk which has a slight mystical feel to it with a steady pace that gave the resoviour I slight other worldly feel to it. this was hightened due to the lack of people about which made me feel I was in an entirely alien land scape.




























The second album was Lifestyles of the Laptop Cafe by The Other People Place, an album that is much more rhythmic and melancholy in its sound. This gave new movement and energy to both myself and the features I was looking upon. Furthermore whereas before the area had felt alien/other worldly there was now a strange familiarity yet sense of isolation. This was especially true when seeing solitary house and figures in the distance.





No comments:

Post a Comment