Thursday 27 April 2017

YCN Roald Dahl
Submitted Images



The Enormous Crocodile


Esio Trot


The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me

Given that in the brief it stated that all images needed to include a child hero, adult villain or anthropomorphic hero/villain I decided to make the anthropomorphic characters central to each of my three submissions so as to create a feeling of unity and cohesion between them.

I further reinforced this sense of cohesion through the use of a consistent colour scheme running between the three different images.

As I outlined in my rational I was keen to move as far away as possible from the imagery associated with Roald Dahl whilst still communicating the characters and scenes from his stories. Therefore I chose to create bold imagery composed of a variety of different simplified and graphic characters and elements usually predominately shape and very little line work to describe them.
This is due to the fact I feel it is both one of the defining features of my personal aesthetic and way of creating images and also the antithesis of Quetin Blake's work which you would immediately associate with Dalh's writing and thus I wanted to move as far away from as possible.

Effectiveness in answering the brief

I think there is a certain sense of drama and tension between all three images. However in the images for the Enormous Crocodile and Esio Trot I think this is a more restrained 'still' drama given that, rather than something dynamic happening there is more of a feel that something is about to happen. Particularly in the Esio Trot image where the claw s about to grab the tortoise. Arguably this gives them are more sophisticated, adult feel that doesn't as effectively answer the brief given that it's target audience is 5-11 year olds.

On the other had I think the The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me image is much more effect in answering the brief as by choosing to depict the moment Pelly apprehends the jewel thief I have created a more dynamic and exciting image that would appeal more directly to children.

No comments:

Post a Comment