Thursday 21 April 2016

Digital Development: Post cards and Stamps

The process of creating the digital out come for my posters and stamps was a lot simpler than that of the posters.


I think this is in part due to the fact that there size allowed me to exhaustively rough designs to a more effective and quicker level. Furthermore much of the digital development and experimentation had already been done through the creation of the various different posters I created so that, by the time I got to creating these images my process had been refined and what I wanted to create visually had been better realised.

For example by this point I have a clear idea of how I want to achieve a level of visual consistency through my work. This is mainly through the use of strong, black and white image that put an emphasis on balance (notan) through the careful selection of a few bold, graphic elements. The result hopefully will be a series of stripped back and minimal outcomes have a clear and concise visual aesthetic as well as conveyed meaning.






































With this in mind I think my above images clearly fit this aesthetic and work well as part of a series along side the posters I have already made. Further more I think they effectively convey my original intent to have of having the post cards subtly convey a narrative of the destruction of culture and teaching within Alexandria. 

I think this is achieve through the simple use of broken/tumbling columns ans statues alongside segmented/fractured mathematical elements which also serve to give an added level of movement and energy to the pieces that further reflects this idea of destruction.

Although I think to some extent they convey a sense of tragedy, especially through the use of the broken statue as well as the cloud like textures create from scanned in brusho drawing, I think that, much like with the posters, it is not quite as overt as the mathematical or destructive elements. This is in part due to the complexity of the actual emotion which in its self is quite hard to convey.





























In contrast to this, given that I had highlighted from the start that I want them to be a celebration of her life and teachings, the stamps were much more simple to create in terms of concept than both the posters and post cards.

After roughing various designs to scale I then went about drawing my favourite ones up on illustrator. Much like my previous designs this was mainly an exercise in composition and tonal balance whear by I added block areas of black along side areas of white and mid tones created through line work to effectively break up the compositions giving them an overwhelming sense of harmony. This is particularly true when they are seen viewed as set.

No comments:

Post a Comment