Wednesday 20 April 2016

Final Outcome: Kobe


For my final out come I had originally planned on creating some much more complex designs, however after spending an hour attempting to create a design based off of them I soon realise they were too complicated for my level of skill with the program. 

In part I think this was due to forgetting to keep things as simple and immediate as possible like we learnt initially during this brief as well as spending too long in my sketch book and no t enough time on screen where these problems would have become apparent sooner. 

The main lesson learnt: even if things seem simple in you're sketchbook the process of turning them into vectors isn't necessarily as straight forward as the drawings themselves as if anything is even the slightest bit off it shows it's faults so much more.



With this in mind I created some much simpler roughs that involved repeating elements to, theoretically, create a final outcome that was both uniform in appearance and dynamic in its composition. To create these I scanned in the singular elements I wanted to repeat and went about making them to as high a level of accuracy as possible, I found the fewer anchor points needed to create the design the better the final out come.

These I then applied the various transformation options to such as scale, shear, reflect and move so as to make certain elements equal in size, proportion and positioning.



However despite these changes from the initial designs I still felt this image was too cluttered in it's composition and maybe not quite as clear as possible in its communication of steel works. Therefore I set about creating an even simpler design with no tonal gradients, I think they are probably the worst part of the above image, comprised of more angular elements as I felt that this has a much stronger association with metal and heavy industry.

After scanning in the rough design I then began the same process as above to convert in to vectors. I feel the final result, pictured below, although still far from perfect is a lot more effective. This is due to the fact that the composition feels a lot less hectic and confused with a clear vanishing point adding a level of readable depth.


No comments:

Post a Comment