Wednesday 20 April 2016

Initial Visual Responses

I began my visual investigation by creating various images depicting heavy machinery, steal girders/structure due to the immediate mental association you get when hearing the words mass production and industry. Furthermore many of the images within Burtynsky's China had a calculated geometric aesthetic to them due the various features of the factories being photographed which is something I wanted to try and capture within my own work.



















For my first few images I switched from my preferred method of ink and brush to mechanical pencil and pen as I felt for the sort of images I was trying to create a more controlled and clinical approach would be needed.

Although these initial drawings helped give me a feel for visual subjects they are fare to complex and fiddly to easily and successfully be translated into vectors. Therefore revisiting the process and simplification and deconstruction explored in our previous workshop I create I series of much simpler images using posca pens and cut out paper.




These are a lot more immediate and striking in their appearance and will translate a lot better into vector form. Furthermore it got me thinking how I could use the vector format to my advantage by potentially create much simpler base images that could then be repeated and repositioned so as to mirror the hypnotic geometric qualities of the subjects at hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment