Thursday 21 April 2016

Poster Roughs


Given the more free form nature of my previous sketchbook work I decided to tighten things up a bit moving on creating roughs within a frame created by scaling down the dimensions of the a2 posters. This allowed me, g to better channel the energy and ideas of my initial designs into something much closer to what my final images would look like.

Having looked at Glaser's work I began this series of roughs by creating various different clinical and graphic drawings based off of images of Hypatia as well as various Greek/Roman statues. Given the fact that there aren't any actual pictures of Hypatia, only artist impressions, I felt referencing statues was a much more effective way of creating the images I wanted.

 I then began de constructing.cutting these images up and placing them into various collages. This is a continuation of my earlier but executed in a much more precise and considered manner. I feel this is in part due to working within a set frame but mainly due to the much more careful consideration of composition and tonal balance. The latter factor has been highly informed by our work within visual language on the Japanese principle of Notan.

















Although I like all of the above images I think in terms of communicating my intent the top right doesn't work. This is because it feels far too violent due its use of vary sharp angles and edges that create a very aggressive feeling within the work. Further more I feel the inclusion of eyes within the other compositions helps better convey this idea of tragedy and sadness due to the sense of mourning it gives the figures.

Compositionally I think the strongest is the top right due to the strong sense of tonal balance which was created intentional by placing the light face in a position that would dramatically contrast to the black of the top right and the mid tone create by the squared paper. The black pillar has been placed with similar consideration but inverse, ie dark on light.






















Above are several larger, a2 and a3,  roughs that I created. Although I think they both communicate some of my intended themes and concepts, compositionally they don't feel as strong as the images created in my sketchbook.

I particularly don't like he a2 poster. Although it conveys astronomical themes, the a2 image feels fare to crowded and confused compositionally. The repeat images of Hypatia's silhouette are almost lost and seem more like sonar rays than human profiles which completely throws of the meaning of the image as well as making it aesthetically unappealing.

As Matt suggested I need to make sure I don't underestimate the power of incredibly simple but powerful image making. It is this approach that I think makes the first four images work on a much higher level given that all four are made up of only three major elements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment