Wednesday 20 April 2016

Visual Development: Tackling the Human Form

Given my inclusion of textile and electronics factories as 2 of my final images I realised I would need to come up with away of create figurative images of people that fit with simplistic, shape driven aesthetic I have decided to pursue.

Although they seem overly complex in composition the human figure can still be broken down into simple shapes as I have previously explored in the Visual Language module. In fact given the curves and variety of shapes present within the human form I think as simplified images they work a lot better than more mechanistic or architectural drawings.

















Initial I did include black outlines on my drawings however I though this was both inappropriate to the intended format of vectors and less effective than the figures created purely out of shapes that are pictured below. 

What struck me about these initial images was the fact that, once the details are taken away and on the fundamental shapes the human figure becomes very mechanical/systematic in appearance. This aesthetic I feel directly ties in to my exploration of the hegemony that is present due to global, consumer driven culture. Furthermore it makes the humans feel much more like another piece of the factory and production process.

















With this in mind I began to draw figures within a scene to as set of visual rules, repeating the same figures over and over to create the almost geometric, pattern like images I had thought about at the beginning of my project. I also began to experiment with how depth and use of negative space within the compositions could be used to add more interest and make my outcomes more dynamic despite the seemingly sterile nature of my subject matter.







No comments:

Post a Comment