Sunday 15 January 2017

Studio Brief 2: Printed Pictures
Mega Crit: Where to now?

The main feedback from the mega crit was the compostional strength of my images. This is very encouraging to hear given that it has been one of my main focuses of this entire module, not just printed pictures. However more specifically it was highlighted that they achieve a moody and even eerie sense of surreal with out seeming too over the top or in your face.

Furthermore the overwhelming consensus was that my images would translate into print most effectively through screen printing, something I had already been thinking myself and wanting to explore. The main reason for this was that, despite being scenic illustrations with multiple elements my images most use bold shapes rather than more complex line work and would therefore translate well onto a screen and  be better suited for trying to achieve overlays

A lot of people seemed to high light the small man with a large shadow as well as the woman lying down as being their favourite images. As previously stated this character centric approach isn't one that I want to take for this process. I think one reason that they stood out to a lot of people is because they aren't as mundane as the others. However it is this coupling of mundane scenes and individual offset/surreal elements that I have decided to focus on and therefore despite the these two being highlighted as other peoples' favourites I don't think I will explore them through print as I don't feel they personally convey the concepts or themes I am trying to communicate as effectively as the other images.



Bill Bragg

I was also recommended the work of Bill Bragg as another visual reference point. I can see how this relates to my work given his focus on applying graphic shape based elements to traditional compostional techniques. Furthermore much like McNuaght and De Chirco he uses bold lighting and tonal contrasts to give his work a dramatic yet subdued aesthetic, something else which I have been trying to achieve within my own work.






No comments:

Post a Comment