Sunday 15 January 2017

Studio Brief 2: Printed Pictures
Lino Print Test

For my lino print test I had wanted to try printing my hammerhead shark design,however as I discussed in study task 3, I realise that particularly with lino process really drives and to some extent dictates the outcome.

With this in mind I realised my initial design wouldn't work in the way I wanted it to given that it relied heavily on the distinct tonal break down to make the composition work in a harmonious way. Given that that each block is only one colour the only way of doing this would have been to use traditional forms of line based shading such as cross hatching, some thing which, given my focus on shape and simplicity, I didn't want to do.

Therefore I almost completely redrew the design so as to break it down in a way that the three distinct compositional elements(the sharks, the car and the figure) would still be clearly distinguishable when print in the same colour.

Adding a Second Colour

I then experimented with adding in a second colour by using a second block of lino. However unlike screen printing lining the two layers is much harder. Although you can increase the accuracy to some extent by using inset marks when printing to line the plates up ; actually carving the designs in the write place is quite difficult given that you can't use a light box to check the accuracy.

Therefore I decided to go with  a much lighter secondary colour so as to reduce how noticeable any mistakes in terms of the two layers lining up were. I quite like the how the image has turned out and, a single colour design I think it has the desired mood I've been going on about in previous posts, my choice of secondary colour has created an image that seems too loud and energetic given the combination of yellow and black being universally used to signal danger. This goes to show how important consideration of colour is when trying to create a particular mood and atmosphere.






No comments:

Post a Comment