Sunday 15 January 2017

Studio Brief 2: Printed Pictures 
Mono Print


Mono printing immediately stands out as being drastically different from the other two processes. Although I spent a long time cutting out stencils to print with, the required preparation for mono printing is much shorter than screen and lino printing but unlike both of them it results in 1 of prints rather than a screen or plate you can keep printing with.


What this results in is a process which relies a lot more on trial and error and quickly produces a higher quantity of ever varying prints although you can introduce some element of control and reproduction through the use of stencils and printing plates.

I really like the aesthetic you get from mono printing in that you get really bold solid areas of colour mixed in with really nice noisy textures. I think this technique is particular suited to creating more graphic design leaning work incorporating the use of vignettes as well as character based work, especially when combined with mono type.

With this in mind I don't think it's particularly suited to the more complex scenic illustrations I've been creating for this project although I see how I can incorporate the textures into my negatives. However I do definitely want to explore this process further in other projects where i'm not producing as compositionally complex work.


No comments:

Post a Comment