Monday 16 January 2017

Studio Brief 3: Moving Pictures
Sting 3
Final Sting


Hiruki Murakami Sting 3 from C Cooper on Vimeo.

Of my three stings this is the only one where I haven't used a panning or zooming camera. Origionally I had the video panning down from the top of the print (which was landscape) however feedback from the tutor had been that it took away from the effect of brooding stillness that the second half of the sting had.

Therefore I comprised this entire sting simply of a broken lamp flashing to reveal the skull and later the authors name. As set out in my proposal, the main aim in terms of mood and atmosphere fr this last sting was something much more brooding and unsettling than the other two. I think the stillness of the video adds to this by creating tension through the impression that something is just about to happen but you don't quite know what.

Here the sound of a broken halogen lamp was essential to creating the impression of a broken lamp rather than just a light turning on and off. Furthermore its rising volume as it slowly turns on towards the end of the video in my opinion really adds to the sinister edge of the video. I further reinforced this affect my adding under it some ambient noise (created in Ableton Live) rather than music like in the other two videos. This was because I felt the video needed to seem as still as possible whilst having a brooding, claustrophobic edge to it similar to the videos I had deconstructed in study task 6.

Test Sting


Comp 1 from C Cooper on Vimeo.

My main issue with this video is that I feel it needs to be longer with a few slight movements of other objects or maybe one scene change/camera pan to make it more dynamic. I agree with the tutor's feedback that the initial camera panning I had used did take away from the brooding stillness but i think this is mainly due to the shortness of the video. Had it been longer I think I will have been able to include this giving it more interest through the use of camera movement whilst still having enough time towards the end of the video to build the desired atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment