Tuesday 17 January 2017

Studio Brief 1: Idea Pictures
Final Outcomes





Final Changes to images one and two

Unhappy with how the textures had turned out in my first two attempts at the final outcome for studio brief 1 I decided to applying the techniques that I had learnt in studio brief 2 on them. The inlcuded redrawing them with pencil and editing the levels so that I could edit them digitial to create flat bock shapes yet still retain the fuzzy edge to give them the emotive visceral quality I wanted. 
I then used layer masks to add screen print textures over the top. This was because I felt they gave the images an extra level of warmth and roughness, adding to the visceral quality I desired with out confusing the compositions by adding too much noise.


Reflections

I think the use of the same colour pallet through out the images as well a consistent use of bold simplistic shapes to comprise my images as made them work clearly and cohesively as a set. With the second image I had included some line work to add more interest to the composition and better convey the feelings of isolation and melancholy associated with Murakami's work. Initially I thought this might take away from the set, however I think it has further reinforced it from the original image by better conveying these feelings that are communicated through out the set.

The strongest image is that of the swimmer as the use of a far back view point has helped create a sense isolation and solitude where as the colour palette has given the image a surreal edge.

In general I am really happy with the ambiguous feel of these three images. Originally I had struggled to communicate the more intangible and subtly surreal aspects of Murakami's work in away that didn't feel overly obvious and clumsy. Therefore I think using a more ambiguous and visceral approach to visual communication, as employed in the above images, has achieved this better. This is due to evocative nature of the work that is coupled with a slightly surreal and ephemeral edge making the view think there is more to the images than initially meets the eye and start adding there own opinions and conclusions.

Given that with editorials require you to summarise an entire articles (or maybe more) worth of writing and ideas in one image, I think this more ambiguous approach is very suited to it as it allows you to touch upon a wide range of complex and more intangible concepts, something which is particularly needed when communicating Murakami's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment