Sunday 15 January 2017

Studio Brief 2: Printed Pictures
Further Image development and screen print negatives

For our screen print workshop I decided I would use one of my actual designs rather than simple motifs given that the over whelming response from the crit was that I should try and translate them into screen printed designs. Therefore the quicker I could get round to figuring this process out the better.

Scanned Drawing

Although most of my designs are very graphic, incorporating lots of simple shapes, I still want them to have the rough fuzzy edge quality you get with pencil. However trying to retain this quality when converting your rough drawings into more refined digital images, as required for the screen print negatives, was something I had struggled with on studio brief 2.


Therefore I decided I would need to redraw my designs larger with something that would create a similar but bolder mark to that of a pencil crayon so as to better retain its analogue quality after the levels of the image have been played around with on Photoshop. I decided to go with oil pastel as I thought the waxy quality of it would give me a similar aesthetic. However although I am happy with the way the image turned out on screen I think something slightly smaller and more controllable would be better the most obvious solution being to use china marker.


Preparing the Negatives Digitally 

Once scanned in I duplicated the initial image so that I would have to identical layers so as to match up perfectly when creating the over lays on my screen prints. I then went about deleting and feel in the appropriate areas on the different layers so as to correspond with the tonal break down I required.



Although I realise it doesn't give the most accurate depiction in terms of how the inks will actual mix with each other, I tried using the overlay blending option on Photoshop to see how potential overlays might turn out. Out of the three I think the blue on blue image is the weakest as using two complimentary colours to make a third over lay creates a really dynamic finish. However I i think including blue on this particular image is definitely the best option given that it will, hopefully, result in the darkest range of colours that best reflects my original design. 


No comments:

Post a Comment